Friday 13 February 2009

Australian Bushfire quilt block appeal.


Tia has set up a flickrgroup asking for 12.5 inch star quilt blocks which she and her band of helpers will make up into quilts to be donated to the victims of the Australian bushfires. Hopefully these quilts can offer some comfort to people who may have lost everything in the fires.

This link will take you to a blog entry where a survivor of the 2003 Canberra firestorm explains how some of her family's most treasured items that were donated were those handmade, with love, by complete strangers.

Please click on the flickr link at the begining of this post and it will take you to the Bushfire Quilt Project flickr group where the appeal is explained in more detail. This includes details of the suggested quilt block.

I would like to volunteer to send blocks made by UK ladies to Tia. I think it would be good if a few blocks could be pooled and sent in one parcel rather than individual people sending one or two at time. Do you think that sounds like a good idea?

If anyone reading this would like me to send your blocks with mine please leave a comment and I will contact you with my postal address.

I better get going with making some blocks! I look forward to hopefully hearing from some of you.

Bye for now, Maria.

9 comments:

Marie said...

Hi MAria, YOu are such a wonderful gal. I too am setting aside tomorrow to workon blocks. Have a great day. Hugs, Marie

Amanda said...

What a splendid idea Maria - are there any other requirements than 12" finished and a star of some sort?

Amanda said...

Sorry - me again - I'm probably being dense, but I've looked on Flickr and can't find any instructions, only photographs.

maria said...

With regard to Amanda's question, if you scroll down the page there is some written information etc.
Maria x

Gone to Earth said...

Thank you for the links, Maria.

Sarah said...

What a wonderful thing you are doing Maria. Thank you.

trash said...

Hi Maria,

will post the link asap but thought you might like to know that a two kilo box to Australia costs £10 or under. Once it is over two kilos the price skyrockets. I always post things home in several boxes now ;-)

Penny said...

Oh that sounds like a really good idea. I've been debating whether to send some blocks (I made some bags for the Rainbow Comfort Bag appeal), but I don't think I'll get them done before the beginning of March - do you have a date that you want to send them?

Tacha said...

Great idea. Have you sent the blocks already? I am in Germany but my Mum is in the UK and has made a block. Can she still send it to you?

thanks