Friday 22 March 2013

Scrappy half square triangles.


 I fancied making a quilt from this book.

 
This one caught my eye.

 It looked like the ideal quilt to use up the many scraps I've accumulated over the years. My problem was that it needs a large number of half square triangles and I couldn't face making so many.
 
 I then remembered a blog I once read where the quilter had a niffty way of making half square triangles as "extras" whilst making a different quilt (sorry, can't remember whose blog it was).
 Instead of using a scap of fabric to run the needle onto when you've sewn two pieces of fabric together, finished a line of chain piecing or finished quilting for the day (it stops having to break the thread all the time), she prepares squares for half sqaure triangles and sews onto these.


No more of this
More of this

If you don't mind it being a long term project it's a painless way of building up a pile of half sqaure triangle units.

Here's the first block I made using some of  the pre-prepared units and a friendship star.


Bye for now, Maria.

2 comments:

sewkalico said...

It looks great so far!

Fran said...

Good plan! How big are the triangles?