Saturday 11 January 2014

It's finished now son.

Way back in mid September of last year I wrote a post titled "Where's my quilt Mum?" about a quilt I was making for my son. The poor boy was wondering when it would be finished. At that point the top was pieced and it was waiting to be quilted. Well, being the quicker worker that I am,  nearly four months later it's finished and in use! I explain the block design I used here

It's difficult to get a decent photo when it's breezy and your quilt holders arms are aching waiting for it to blow into the right position.     
I bought a lovely soft flannel for the back but surprise, surprise I didn't order enough so I added a panel of wonky cross blocks to make it big enough.

The breeze didn't drop long enough for this one and that's a shadow bottom left, not a dirty mark!

I did some straight line quilting as requested by my son, he didn't want anything more complicated. I did offer.


For those of you, who like me,  love to see quilts made from more girly colours here's a quilt top I made started during a recent sewing retreat. It's now in the queue to be finished. 

Bye for now,
Maria

10 comments:

Fran said...

So impressed with that more masculine design, not something you see much in blogland! Really love your latest one, it's stunning.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

I love his quilt. Great colors and I love what you did with the backing. I am going to have to remember that trick.

Mack and Mabel said...

Those are great colours for a boy quilt.. Girly quilts are so much easier to plan aren't they!

Glinda ♥ said...

Brilliant boy quilt, Maria, and the back is well designed (even if it was by accident!) Thanks for the pink fix too :)

Sonia said...

That's a fabulous boy quilt Maria and the wonky crosses on the back add such a lovely feature. Better crack on with that music quilt now ;)

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Both quilts are awesome! Super work, love the colour schemes!

Jasmine said...

I can just hear my son complaining about the same thing. I told him that his would be the next one I pieced, but got so frustrated with the pattern I picked that I procrastinated by quilting other finished tops. His quilt took me four months. Your quilts both look great!

Carla said...

Ta da! Looking good here. Congrats on the finish

Cloud CouCou said...

Great to see your son's quilt finished..my boyfriend always complains that I don't make anything for him. Maybe I should have a go. That new quilt is gorgeous too!!

Maryse said...

That's lovely! I love your choice of colors. Nice work!