Tuesday 5 May 2009

A new quilt started.

Since making the table runner I showed here I've been wanting to make a quilt in matching fabrics to hang on the dining room wall next to the side board on which table runner is displayed.

I ordered some more fabrics, all by Amy Butler, except the bottom one which is b y Heather Bailey.


I then had to decide on a pattern. I've seen lots of coin quilts on blogs and flickr lately and originally decided to make one but then I discovered a wonderful blog called Oh, Fransson! by Elizabeth Hartman. She makes some scrummy quilts using modern, square blocks sashed with mostly white linen and I decided this was the style to go for. Elizabeth sells some of her patterns on etsy but also has some free tutorials on her blog, they're definately worth a look.

I decided my quilt would consist of twelve blocks using six patterns with two blocks made from each pattern. Each block would contain two fabrics and I'm not sure how to describe this but the fabrics in each matching block would be placed in opposite positions in the blocks.

I've done six blocks so far. One is called Paint Box (top left and bottom right) and is from a tutorial on Oh Fransson! The other two blocks I designed myself.


I won't be sashing them with linen as I have some cream fabric to use up although I'm sure linen would look great. I'll show some more of the quilt as I go along.

I took this picture of a beautiful Aquilegia in my garden on a sunny morning last week. I just love the way it looks like it's lifting its face up to the sunshine.




Bye for now, Maria.

9 comments:

Kris said...

That's going to be a lovely quilt! I love the colours!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Love your fabrics. You're going to have a very pretty quilt when you're finished. What a pretty flower.

Jenny said...

Beautiful colours, lovely quilts!

Marie said...

Oh Maria that wil be such a lovely quilt. Love the fabric!! Have a grand day and the flower is beautiful.Hugs, Marie

Sherri said...

This quilt is going to be fabulous! I love your fabrics and the block designs you've chosen as well!

Simone de Klerk said...

I love your fabric and color choice, Maria. Always so bright. You have a very good way in it (O: Have fun finishing the top!

Amanda said...

What pretty colours, really fresh and spring like.

Sarah said...

This will be good! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Gone to Earth said...

That's a delicious collection of fabric and such a pretty aquilegia.