Tuesday 7 April 2009

A new quilt and some gardening.

Have you ever had that feeling of excitement when you see something you'd like to make and decide that you just HAVE to do it NOW? Well I did the other day. I saw this tutorial for a fantastic value quilt by Katie who has a fabulous blog. As I have loads of fabric scraps I thought it would be the ideal quilt to make without buying any fabric.



It was one of thoses awful days when one minute the sun was out and the next it was blowing a gale and pouring with rain, I think there was even some hale too. I was feeling fed up as I had been planning a shopping trip to look for some little extras to put in with my spring swap. A spot of spontaneous quilt starting was just what I needed!


Here is the enoromous pile of fabrics I selected.


Here is the finished quilt. I quilted most of it using invisible thread in the ditch and then stitched a line through the dark sections in variagated thread. I didn't feel that in needed a border so just bound it in purple.



With the onset of spring I always feel hugely inspired to do some gardening. We've lived in this house for just over 2 years and you certainly wouldn't call the previous owner a keen gardener so we've been given an almost blank canvas to work with.

This picture is taken last year, it is an area at the bottom of the garden which I planned to make into a sitting area with a large raised bed at the back.




This is the same area, also last year after some work. Don't you just love the old wheel in the background!




Here it is again complete with the raised bed that my clever husband made this weekend. It looks rather large but I'm sure it will be fine when it's full of plants. The fun part now begins - filling it with plants. As you can see I've planted a few.




I recently discovered this beautiful gardening magazine which is full of absolutley stunning photographs of truely amazing gardens which are so inspiring. That sounds really gushing but I LOVE this magazine.






Bye for now, Maria

16 comments:

Simone de Klerk said...

Your quilt looks great! Thanks for the link to the tutorial. And your garden. WOW! That must be nice to be in, once the weather gets a bit warmer!

Sherri said...

What a gorgeous quilt! And I love your garden area...it's going to be beautiful. You'll have to show us more pictures as it grows!

Anonymous said...

The quilt looks so lovely! You work fast.

Anonymous said...

If you have Flickr, would you add it to the group? http://www.flickr.com/groups/1066616@N23/pool/

Thanks!

Sal said...

Hi there!
I love what you've done with your garden area..it'll look lovely when it is full of plants,in bloom.
Have a lovely Easter ;-)

wonderwoman said...

what a lovely quilt and fantastic colours.
its nice to able to start thinking about the garden makes it feel like spring is really here!

x

Amanda said...

I'm off to follow that link right now, it looks like just the sort of thing I need to kickstart my enthusiasm since we've moved. I keep finding other things to do instead of finishing off some of the sewing I've got on the go and need something quick and fun to do. Your garden is starting to look a treat - it will be fun to watch your progress.

silverpebble said...

Wow you've been very busy in your garden - it looks so inviting! There's something so satisfying and exciting about a raised bed isn't there?

That quilt is breathtaking - such vibrant spring-like colours. Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

That is so pretty and full of colour. Well done with the garden. I know what you mean about the weather, I've only just got some gardening done this year. I think much more is going to be needed but weeding is theraputic.

Kris said...

I love that quilt! It is gorgeous! I love that magazine too. My newsagent here in Australia carries it and I buy it just to drool over. English magazines are my favourite!

Gone to Earth said...

Love the quilt and I'm now suffering from garden envy. That looks good.

Marie said...

Oh Maria, I love your quilt of course Ilove anthing with shades of lavenders! Your garden area is very lovely. Keep up the good gardening!!Hugs, Marie

Unknown said...

Great job with the Scraps..your little quilt looks lovely...and your New Vegie Garden looks Great..
cheers

Poppy said...

Wow, you have been busy; I am in love with your quilt!
And as for the garden you have done a fab job it looks lovely!
Have a lovely Easter…love Lou xxx

Abby and Stephanie said...

I just saw your spring swap package you sent to Bonnie. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! So pretty.

Gypsy Quilter said...

I was just surfing around trying to find a new design and looking at scrap quilts. Beautiful quilt! and Thanks so much for sharing the link to the tutorial. Blessings and Happy New Year